Seizures are uncontrolled electrical activity in the brain that may lead to symptoms that may range from mild loss of attention to violent muscular contractions. A more severe seizure can lead to death.
Many people have seizures for reasons that are unknown. Other people have seizures from conditions that affect normal brain functioning. These may include brain tumor, infections, fever, birth injuries, injury, or trauma.
Because underlying causes of seizures vary, a visit to Clear Choice Emergency Room is highly recommended—especially during the onset of a first seizure. For a person with a seizure disorder, a change in seizure patterns or more frequent seizures are also reasons to seek medical care. Furthermore, the following conditions call for an immediate assessment by one of our emergency-trained physicians:
- A seizure that continues more than 5 minutes or a series of seizures without full recovery between them
- Persistent breathing difficulty
- Injuries sustained during a seizure
- Persistent confusion or unconsciousness
- A first seizure
- A significant change from that person’s usual seizure pattern in terms of seizure type, seizure length, or associated symptoms
At Clear Choice ER, wait times are minimal and you will be assessed immediately. We are open seven days a week, 365 days a year, and at any given time, you will be seen by a board certified, highly experienced emergency care physician.